(Names have been changed to protected the innocent)
Hello, my name is Kim, and I’m a Facebook Junkie. And it’s been ten minutes since I was last on Facebook. Unfortunately though I am still a Facebook junkie, but I’m trying my best to end this terrible cycle that I am on.
For the past six months I have had an account on the website known as Facebook. I first was introduced to this site by my brother John. He was telling me about the fun he was having with all his friends and about all the things you could do. I admit, it sounded intriguing. I too felt the desire to have the same fun as my brother. So that night in the solitude of my room, I opened my web browser and typed in the web address that would change my life of ever.
Register. That was what I saw when I arrived at the Facebook home page. I foolishly clicked, and filled out the forms. I couldn’t stop; it was as if someone had taken over my body. I added my name, a password, a picture, my E-MAIL ADDRESS! I hit next. There was no going back I had enter a world that up until a few months ago was only available to college students. Looking back I can see why, Facebook is not for the faint of heart, it takes a great deal of strength to use Facebook and not become addicted. There are few who can.
In just a few easy clicks I was a member of the Facebook family. I knew very few people on Facebook when I joined. I looked them up and requested friendship. Because they must approve my invitation, I waited.
By the end of the next day, I had four friends. Not very many I know, but it was enough to keep me going. Slowly over the months I acquired friend after friend. And with each new friend, I slipped deeper into a world that was quickly taking over my life. Wall posts, picture tags, private messages, and pokes were my life. I couldn’t escape, I tried. But it was no use, I had become addicted.
Day after day, I would wake up, turn on my computer and check my e-mail for the notifications that said someone had written on my wall. Even if no one had written anything to me, I would go and check anyway to see if anyone had done anything new.
It’s a disease, Facebook. Once you start you can’t stop. I have a friend; let’s call him Jack, who tried desperately to end his addiction. He lasted for two days. But he had no choice, he had to go back. So if you fancy joining Facebook, remember, it’s not for the faint of heart. It takes guts and STRONG willpower to live the Facebook life.
I have met many people through Facebook, some are friends of my brothers and some I have met through my travels. A few became good friends; and others will always be good for a laugh and I will always be gratefully for them. But on matter where I go, no matter what I do; I will always be on Facebook.
5 comments:
Yeah, I tried to stop once. I was but a fool.
Your confession is truly a confession that I must confess I relate to all too well. I too am adicted. It is so bad.
lol. Thanks for the grave warning.
Sure, but you should get Facebook!!!
You sure are having a fun time. Just don't tell people where you live.....
Post a Comment